Thursday, June 3, 2010

violin!!

ha! long time no blog^^
I've got nag by my violin teacher for weeks about my lower bow and straight bowing techniques. got quite disappointed with myself after that lesson. that night, I was lying there , thinking of buying some book to improve my skills, maybe a violin for dummies book. So, I went on net to research about this book. then accidentally found this person, todd ehle, on youtube. He's a violin teacher for 20 yrs, probably teaching in a university too. got some tips to improve my straight bowing. He said that it's important to start with baby steps, do a million repetition to make techniques a habit. I guess i must have forgotten that before, almost like enlightenment. He also said that repetition are programming to muscles, that way, when you're in nervous or panic mode during exams or performance, the repetition helps you deliver.
went to the lesson this week, my teacher stop nagging about this issue anymore. after last week of research on youtube, it's like falling in love with violin all over again. well, it's more of regaining the passion i had for violin. bought a music stand yesterday! it's a good thing, right? to research abt these things since i'm already a music teacher now. I've practice like almost everyday since last wednesday (during the one week interval between weekly lessons), I felt some pain in my arm, wrist and neck, especially that 'mark' there which every violinist has, a little over-dutied them i guess. But they're not injured so don't worry. I'm stopping the practice until saturday or sunday ...

i've installed a new software in my pc lately. got crazy with k-songs now, no need to go to k-box for karaoke ^^. ya! and, i'm sharpening my driving skills lately, fetch wan teng back from school almost everyday. i'll keep it short, bye for now.

3 comments:

Wan Cheng said...

Happy to hear tat from u! Passion for music needs to endure a lot of obstacles. Only ppl who are seriously learning music understand that.

Keep doing the baby steps. Practicing is a huge part in learning to play a music instrument. But dun over strain urself though. My lecturer injured his neck becos of that and now he cant play violin anymore. Take care. Proud of u sis =)

Yee Yen said...

A lecturer used to say there are four stages to learning every skill. I will compare it to learning to drive:

1. Unconsciously incompetent - When you were a child sitting at the back in a car just enjoying the ride, never really thinking about learning to drive at all
2. Consciously incompetent - You realise at this point even you want to drive, you can't because you don't know how to operate the car. When learning from the instructor, you realise how retarded your hands and leg are because sometimes it wouldn't do what you tell them to do.
3. Consciously competent - During driving test and first few months driving, you do every maneuverer obviously like adjusting the window, changing gear, signaling, and you do the parking using the 'formula' to let the examiner see, and also to tick your mental checklist.
4. Unconsciously competent - After maybe 10 years driving, you will do the right thing without even thinking. Sometimes in the morning, you get out of the house and the next thing you realise is that you are already at work, you didn't even remember the drive to work. How did you get there? Don't remeber... I think if you have reached this stage already, bad habits will be especially difficult to get rid off.

So, with regards to violin, maybe you are at stage 3 now, the most painful stage. But everyone has go to through stage 3 to be good at anything, even in medicine and surgery. Ultimately in life, I don't think you can achieve anything without effort. Bon courage!

♥ Miss Happy ♥ said...

Congratz to u...hehe...drive me home too XD haha...